Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

"Truth in Light"- University of Montana

On February 17, 1893, the University of Montana was established by a legislative act. Construction of the first building, Main Hall, was also the same day as the school's first commencement. 



When the school was designed, the Oval was to be the heart of campus with all buildings placed around it. Up until the 1950s, vehicles were allowed to drive around the Oval. 




In 1932, Mike Mansfield came to UM to teach history. Afterwards, he was elected to Congress. He is the longest serving Senate Majority Leader and was an ambassador to Japan. 



In the 1960s, UM saw student protests, just like the rest of the country. Students also pushed for black studies and Native American courses. UM's Black Studies program, today called African American studies is one of the oldest programs in the US. 

(Ulysses S. Doss started the Black Studies Program.)

Tomorrow is UM's commencement ceremony. For many of us, we have been working towards our degrees for four years. We've drunk too much coffee, stayed up too late and spent way too much time in the library. But it was all worth it. I'd like to thank UM for an amazing four years, all of the staff who have helped me and all of my professors who pushed me in my studies. "Up with Montana!"


It is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye but I know that UM will always be with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment