Search This Blog

Friday, July 11, 2014

"...one of the most stupendous scenes in Nature."

October 25, 1783, Thomas Jefferson stood above Harpers Ferry and described the scene before him: "The passage of the Patowmac through the Blue Ridge is perhaps one of the most stupendous scenes in Nature." 

(Jefferson Rock- where Jefferson stood)



In 1794, George Washington received approval from Congress to establish a second federal armory and arsenal at the location of Robert Harper's ferry at the junction of the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers. 

(Armory)

October 16, 1859, John Brown and 20 men invaded the town in order to capture the armory. Brown was an abolitionist who wanted to arm slaves with the guns from Harpers Ferry, but he was captured by US Marines and executed in December.



April 18, 1861, the armory was destroyed when Virginia seceded from the Union. This was the beginning of Harpers Ferry's role in the war. In the fall of 1862, the town saw the largest Union surrender during the war. After the battle of Antietam, President Lincoln visited to see the troops stationed at Harpers Ferry. 



March 18, 1936, the town experienced the highest recorded flood of 36.5 feet. Harpers Ferry had been established as a town by Robert Harper in 1763 and continued as a town until the '36 flood. Afterwards, the town became a National Historical Park in 1963. 



This is the history that I have been relating to visitors for the past five summers. Visitors arrive knowing little about the town and leave with much to think about. I started like these visitors; I came in to the Park Service knowing only a little bit about Harpers Ferry and very little about the actual Park Service. 



The history of the town helped me to realize that I had made the right decision in picking history as my major. The coworkers and interns I met helped me to realize that I want to continue working in the field of public history in the National Park Service. Harpers Ferry has been a great place to grow and to learn but I must bid my farewell now. My time has ended with the people I consider to be a part of my family and now I must move on into the great wide world of adulthood. While I bid adieu this weekend, I know that Harpers Ferry and the people will always be with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment