Search This Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Never Forget

Everyone over the age of 19 remembers where they were when it happened, like everyone in the generation before knew where they were when Kennedy was assassinated. President Kennedy's assassination was a huge event in our nation's history but September 11, 2001 changed every person and the country. 

Photo: september112001.com


13 years ago, I was sitting in elementary school on a day that was good, but weird. Every couple of minutes, our principal would call another student to the office to go home. All day, I was waiting for my name to be called because I thought something fun was happening. Finally, just before school was over, my sister and I were released to our mother. It wasn't until we actually got home and I saw the tv did I know that something terrible had happend. 

Photo: nytimes.com


Today, I sat in my cubicle, a few blocks away from Ground Zero, and I watched the news coverage of the ceremonies. It was frustrating to know that I was so close yet so far away but, when work was over, I made my way to see the Tribute in Light. 

Photo: Hilary Grabowska


Everyday that I've been in NYC, the streets have been noisy. I recently spoke with a first responder who was at the site 13 years ago and he told me that downtown was blown out acoustically. Even if you had yelled, the sound was muffled. The streets today around the site were filled with people but hardly anyone spoke and if they did, it was in hushed tones. 

Photo: Hilary Grabowska


13 years ago, Islamic radicals attempted to divide us but instead, they united us. We will never forget those we lost on that September day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment